Thursday, September 18, 2014

Questions from," The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.."

Please respond to the following below. I'm really interested to hear what you all have to say about the beginning chapters!

1. In chapter 1, how would you describe Henrietta's attitude about medical care?

2. After reading chapter two, has your impression of Henrietta changed or altered at all and why?

3. In Chapter 3, do you believe that Dr. TeLinde's research was important and justified?

4. What do you make of the Operation Permit that Henrietta signed? Did or does it give the hospital the right to take tissue from Henrietta for research purposes? Do you think Henrietta really understood what she was signing?

7 comments:

  1. 1. Henrietta’s attitude about medical care does not show much concern for immediate attention. The book states: “For Henrietta, walking into Hopkins was like entering a foreign country where she didn’t speak the language…She, like most black patients, only went to Hopkins when she thought she had no choice” (16). Henrietta almost seems to carry a shame based on her position as a poor, African American woman; although her medical condition could be very serious, she chooses to ignore the problem instead of seeking help. This negligence could be reflective of the embarrassment she feels for facing these medical issues.
    2. After reading Chapter 2, I have more of a respect for Henrietta’s strength and bravery. Her life was characterized by adversity simply based on the fact that she was African American. In addition, she lost her mother, moved in with her grandfather, worked diligently since a young age, had children as a teenager, married an unfaithful man, relocated for her husband’s job, and was later diagnosed with cancer. Through all of these struggles, Henrietta sacrificed for the betterment of her family.
    3. While I do believe that TeLinde’s research was important, it was not justified. TeLinde’s studies had the potential to save the lives of thousands of women and prevent unnecessary, extreme medical procedures. On the other hand, he utilized patient records from the public wards for his research without being given permission. This would be considered a breech of privacy for those individuals who depended upon public healthcare because they could not afford private doctors.
    4. The Operation Permit that Henrietta signed was very broad and ambiguous. In total, the statement was less than 40 words long and did not specifically state what Henrietta’s procedure would entail. Technically, the Operation Permit states that the hospital can perform “any operative procedures,” and collecting samples for research purposes may fall under that category. I believe that Henrietta did not really understand what she was signing, considering that she only completed a sixth grade education and avoided medical treatments because she was not fluent in scientific language. In turn, Henrietta was taken advantage of as a result of her lack of medical knowledge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1. I would describe Henrietta’s attitude about medical care in the first chapter as not truly trusting of it. She depended more on what she thought only seeking help when it becomes a elongated problem. When the doctor at Hopkins wanted to give her different tests and treatments, she declined proving she doesn't like medical care.
    2. After reading Chapter 2 my impression of Henrietta has changed. I thought she was just a woman that had cancer and cells helped others. In this chapter the background on her life shows she always had to be strong. She had to deal with racism and being a mother so young.
    3. I believed Dr. TeLinde’s research was important and justified. The reason for science is trial and error. He believed that the outer cervix cancer could lead to a more aggressive form on the inside and the only way to decide if it was right or wrong was to test it.
    4. The Operation Permit that Henrietta signed I believed it to be just that, an operation permit. Used for just that, nothing else. It did not give the hospital any right to take her cells for research purposes unless it was for her treatment. The statement said “to perform any operative procedures and under any anesthetic either local or general that they may deem necessary in the proper surgical care and treatment,” research with Henrietta’s cells wasn't necessary for her care so it was invalid. I actually don’t believe that Henrietta didn't even read the permit. Earlier in the reading it said she doesn't read or write much so she may have just signed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far I love the book!


    For Henrietta's medical care I get the impression she really doesn't like it. The author points out that during this time doctors held a lot of information from their clients, even to the point where they didn't tell the patients the actual diagnosis. Also, it sounds like Henrietta didn't want anyone to worry about her, and unexplainable trips to the doctors would make people worry.

    Within chapter 2 my views have changed. When I first imagined Henrietta I thought of a very stern woman, but the more I read the more I see this woman as a saint. She is so caring towards others and even her daughter she showed so much love and compassion.

    I believe for the time period TeLinde's research was justified. Today it would still be considered important, but not so much justified. Henrietta couldn't read, thus she was unknown to the terms and conditions. Also, taking something without the knowledge of the owner is, in fact, stealing. She came to the hospital to get treated, and instead the doctors stole cells from her and others of low class/income for their own personal gain.

    As I stated above, the terms and conditions are not for the use of her cells. It is a waiver stating she is willing to go through with the procedures. Also, she could not read! A doctor must have known someone of low income probably couldn't read but said nothing. Within the permit as well, it stated nowhere that that paper gave the doctors the right to take her cells AND make a profit from them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 1. She doesn't show much concern for medical attention right away. But this only shows her social status n america. She is a poor African american woman and this is why she chose to ignore the problem versus getting help which could be because she is embarrassed about the things that are going wrong with her body.
    2. After reading the second chapter i got a better insight of o she is as a person. She was showing strength in the face of fear which was hard to do in these times considering her social status and constantly being put down.
    3. I believe that the research was justified, As a researcher you are bound to find many things and this was one in which a hypothesis was formed in saying that if she continued to live with it the cancer would become more aggressive.
    4. The terms in which she signed the waiver over to them stated that she would agree to go through with the procedure. While she also has little education she cant read that well which also was a downside of them getting her to sign off her body to them to do cell research.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1. Honestly she doesn't pay much mind towards it because she knows she isn't going to get the best medical care when she goes to the hospital and she has a lot more on her mind then her body.
    2. I feel bad for her. It seems like she never had many choices in her life and relationships.
    3. I think it was justified. Science grows and changes everyday, things we thought were right hundreds of years ago we know today we were wrong.
    4. It's a good thing she sort of knew how to read, but I really don't know if she knew completely what it meant. Waivers can be tricky for people who even speak perfect English.

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1. Henrietta is not worried about her medical care too much according to chapter 1. She doesn't feel that it is necessary to go until she feels the lump while taking a bath because she did not want to bring attention to herself. Even after going she doesn't go back for follow up visits.
    2. My opinion of her changed because we become aware of what she has gone through such as her father leaving her after the death of her mother. She works very hard and is a great wife to her husband, supporting him through tough times and even leaving all that she knows for him and his new job.
    3. I think the doctor had good intentions for doing what he did; I believe he wants to save lives and improve the medical field. Saying that, I believe he could of went about his research more professionally.
    4. Henrietta most likely did not know what she was signing when she put her signature on that permit. Having a very minimal education I could see why the already not black and white permit would be confusing for her. I do not think the permit gave the right to take her tissue. The permit states that procedures will be done if deemed necessary for the care and treatment of patients. How is taking her tissue caring for Henrietta? Its not. I ultimately believe though that even if Henrietta did understand the permit she still would've signed it, what other choice did she have after all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 1. Henrietta feels indifferent towards medical care, even though she really needs it. She also feels that, because of her race, she isn't entitled to the medical care available. It also seems that because of the different environment in the hospital, she doesn't want to be surrounded by people that obviously won't respect her.
    2. I'm impressed by her strength and resilience in the face of all that she has suffered. Most people would not be able to go on after facing one of her struggles.
    3. Yes, TeLinde's research was important but his methods of achieving his research was unjustified. He has no right to deceive Henrietta into signing away her rights and using her cells without her actual permission. Although the HeLa cells and his research benefited many people, the ends does not justify the means.
    4. The hospital did not have the right to take her tissue without her permission. Henrietta is a very kind person so, honestly, if they had just truly explained the whole situation to her, then perhaps she would have donated her tissue willingly. However, the hospital chose to lie to and use her, knowing that she wouldn't understand the document she was signing.

    ReplyDelete